COLUMBUS, Ohio – February 8, 2008 – The State Auto Insurance Companies now offer a comprehensive “Life Stages” identity management program providing free access to proactive and resolution services for all home and farm policyholders. The services are offered in partnership with Identity Theft 911®, a leading provider of identity theft management, education and resolution services.
“Identity theft crimes are occurring more frequently, with more disastrous effects on the lives and finances of their victims,” said State Auto Vice President of Personal Insurance Joel Brown. “In 2006, State Auto was one of the first insurance companies to offer ID theft coverage at no extra charge. We’re pleased to enhance that coverage with even greater protection for our home and farm policyholders.”
Among the new features is Military Identity Assistance for active duty military personnel who hold a State Auto home or farm policy. The service includes:
- an active duty fraud alert, which notifies the three credit bureaus to place an active duty military fraud alert on the service member’s credit file;
- a marketing list opt-out, which removes those who have placed active duty military fraud alerts from marketing lists for two years;
- and identity theft resolution, including personal advocates who will guide service members through the entire process of restoring their identities.
“Our troops serving overseas shouldn’t have to worry about protecting their identities at home,” said Brown. “However, not only are military personnel at a heightened risk of identity theft, but those thefts are likely to go undiscovered longer, particularly among active duty troops.”
In addition, State Auto policyholders with a home or farm policy now have access to the following proactive services at no additional cost:
- Proactive Fraud Alerts – For policyholders looking to prevent the fraudulent creation of new credit accounts: A fraud specialist places a fraud alert on the files maintained by the three major credit bureaus. The alert notifies the policyholder of any changes made to the credit file.
- Child Risk Identity Assistance – For parents and guardians of minor children who wish to be proactive: Advocate-assisted proactive credit file suppression helps prevent against the misuse of a minor’s personal information, a growing crime that often goes undetected for decades. Includes on-demand access to a fraud specialist.
- Identity Relocation Assistance - For policyholders who move: A fraud specialist is assigned to help safeguard financial, credit, and identity data during a move. The specialist helps ensure uninterrupted access to financial institutions and accounts, as well as with any needed documentation.
Should a State Auto home or farm policyholder should become a victim of identity theft, the following resolution services are also available at no additional cost:
- Medical Identity Assistance – For victims of medical identity theft: A fraud specialist is assigned to help undo the damage from fraudulently filed insurance claims and/or bogus medical services to the extent possible.
- Estate Identity Assistance - For surviving spouses: A fraud specialist is assigned to help safeguard the identity of a departed spouse from potential misuse by identity thieves. Includes minimizing potential risks to the surviving spouse’s own identity in the case of joint credit files and financial documents.
- Disaster Recovery Assistance - For victims of home fire, flood, hurricane, or earthquake: A fraud specialist is assigned to help quickly recapture destroyed documentation needed to rebuild their lives. The specialist helps ensure uninterrupted access to financial institutions and accounts.
State Auto policyholders also have free access to a wealth of online resources regarding identity theft. Articles, newsletter, interviews, and other helpful preventative resources can be found at idtheft.stateauto.com.
About State Auto
The State Auto Insurance Companies, headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, are engaged primarily in writing personal and business insurance products exclusively through approximately 3,400 independent insurance agencies in 33 states and are proud to be a Trusted Choice® company partner. The State Auto Insurance Companies include State Auto Financial Corporation (NASDAQ:STFC) and State Automobile Mutual Insurance Company, which is one of only 14 companies rated A+ (Superior) by the A.M. Best Company every year since 1954. Additional information can be found online at StateAuto.com.
About Identity Theft 911
Identity Theft 911 is an industry leader in Identity Management, providing innovative, enterprise-level fraud solutions and consumer education to Fortune 500 companies, many of America's largest insurance companies and corporate benefit providers, and a wide spectrum of financial institutions, colleges, and universities. More than 10 million households are enrolled in Identity Theft 911's comprehensive identity management programs. For more information, call 480-355-8500 or visit www.identitytheft911.com.