Tools and Education


Replacing Vital Documents: Who To Contact

Bookmark and Share

Driver's License

Government Issued ID

Insurance policies 

Military discharge


Birth, death and marriage certificates

Social Security or Medicare cards

Credit cards



American Express


Titles to deeds

Stocks and bonds


Income tax record

Citizenship papers

Mortgage papers

Department of Motor Vehicles

Contact the issuing authority

Your insurance agent or company

Department of Veterans Affairs, papers 1-800-827-1000 or TDD/TTY 1-800-829-4833

State Department—Passport Services, 202-955-0430 (24 hours)

Bureau of Records in the appropriate state

Local Social Security office, 1-800-772-1213 or TDD/TTY 1-800-325-0778

The issuing companies as soon as possible

Contact issuing financial institution

Contact issuing financial institution


1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683), TDD/TTY 1-800-347-7449

Records department of the area in which the property is located

Issuing company or your broker

Your attorney

The IRS center where filed, your accountant or 1-800-829-1040

Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, 1-800-375-5283

Lending institution

Courtesy: American Red Cross (

Copyright © 2016 State Auto Insurance Companies. All rights reserved.